TGP is excited to welcome former volunteer Deidra Suber to our Board of Directors! She is a well-known name across the Grassroots family and the DC community, and we are excited to welcome her to our board.
Take a few minutes to read more about Deidra here!
1. Can you tell us about when and why you first joined Grassroots? What was the organization like back then?
I joined Grassroots in 2009 after a fellow athlete asked me to join. I fell in love after the first session. Grassroots was very scrappy in 2009, and as we were still learning our way outside of college campuses, learning how to run a non-profit, and also learning how to connect with schools.
2. You graduated from Georgetown in 2011. What have you been up to since then?
I have floated around in retail and operations. I am currently a Regional Director of Operations for a new start-up called Cloud Kitchens. I also received my MBA in 2018, and I have also gotten married and had a baby since 2011. Another fun fact- I have lived in 5 cities since I have graduated in 2011.
3. What made you want to join the Grassroots Board of Directors?
Grassroots was an integral part of my college experience and taught me a lot about how to manage people and run a business. I want to see other students get the same experience, but also continue to help DC students.
4. What has been your most memorable Grassroots experience?
Meeting the Manchester United Soccer Team! (Grassroots was lucky to be invited to meet the entire Manchester United team at the home of the British Ambassador in 2011)
5. When you were a student-athlete Grassroots Coach, you chose “Diva” as your nickname. Can you tell us about what made you choose this nickname?
I have always been high maintenance, and I have no shame in that!